ICBC insurance is “universal,” if you are driving outside of BC, ICBC will most likely have to be involved.

If you are driving your own vehicle out of province, and you are involved in an accident, ICBC is entitled to pay for the damages as they would within BC. If you are driving a rental vehicle outside of BC, depending on your plan, ICBC may still be involved if you have Road Star or Road Star Plus coverage. If you are injured in a motor vehicle accident outside of BC, depending on the insurance coverage for the other vehicle will determine how much money ICBC is entitled to pay. Under the Underinsured Motorist Protection (“U.M.P.”) plan, if the at-fault-motorist does not have adequate insurance to cover the cost of the accident, then ICBC must step in.

Dealing with insurance coverage out of BC is complicated and technical, and ICBC will try to pay out as little money as possible. If you are involved in an accident out of province, it is in your best interested to dial-a-claim with ICBC as soon as possible. It is also recommended that you enlist the support of a personal injury lawyer to help you navigate the technicalities of your claim.

At Bloom Law we are fully versed in the complexities of ICBC out of province insurance claims, and it is our job to ensure that you receive all of the compensation that you are entitled to.


Call us at 604 603 5513 or submit a form here to set up your free claim consultation with a Bloom Law personal injury lawyer.