In the event that you are injured in an accident where an uninsured or underinsured motorist is at fault, ICBC is still liable to compensate you.

ICBC will be liable to compensate you under your underinsured motorist protection (“U.M.P.”) policy. The amount of compensation you would receive from this program depends on your ICBC insurance coverage and whether you paid for an extended U.M.P. plan. It is always recommended that you obtain the extended underinsured motorist protection policy when you get car insurance, and which costs an additional $25 per year.

ICBC will do everything possible to avoid paying you U.M.P. claims, including forcing you to sue the uninsured party for all of their personal assets. This is why U.M.P. compensation claims are referred to as “last resort coverage,” but it is very important coverage to have.

These cases are extremely complicated and technical. If your personal injury claims involves U.M.P., retain a competent and skilled personal injury lawyer as soon as possible.


Call us at 604 603 5513 or submit a form here to set up your free claim consultation with a Bloom Law personal injury lawyer. We will review your case to ensure that you receive the most amount of money for your accident and resulting injuries.